Junior Commercial Lawyer
We are looking to recruit an in-house Junior Commercial Lawyer to join our Legal team to advise on the legal aspects of the majority of activities of the City & Guilds Group, including contracts for goods & services, acquisitions, GDPR and joint ventures.
About the role
This role will specifically provide in-house legal advice and support, both directly and by assisting the other members of the legal team, to clients in each of the business units and companies within the City & Guilds Group. This includes the international business, so that legal risks are identified and managed appropriately, and specific matters and projects are successfully delivered. There will also be the opportunity to undertake research and support company secretarial and compliance work, including GDPR implementation and compliance.
You will be joining an established and supportive close knit team, where you will have the opportunity to work on a wide variety of projects and gain wide exposure of all areas of the business.
Some of the key responsibilities include:-
- Advising on legal issues arising in connection with the work of the business and to carry out related research. Areas covered to include general commercial, intellectual property (such as brand protection and trademark use), IT and e-commerce matters, data protection, corporate (including acquisitions and company/branch set up), tendering and procurement.
- Advising on compliance issues (including anti-bribery and GDPR) and any other relevant areas of law / legislation affecting the business.
- Supporting on the acquisition process, including due diligence, drafting and negotiation of heads of terms, sale and purchase agreements and disclosure letters. Assisting other Legal team members with larger transactions, such as acquisitions, investments and project work, including reviewing and preparing tender documents.
- Developing and building relationships between the Legal Department and clients in the other sectors within the business, and to improve understanding of overall commercial and business strategy.
We want to hear from individuals who are confident and a clear communicators, with a natural flair for influencing and building strong relationships, who have experience working in a law firm or an in-house legal department. You will be happy working both independently and as part of a team, with a keen eye for accuracy and detail, a knack for staying organised at all times whilst handling a wide variety of matters and drive to deliver to deadlines.
As well as the above, it will also be key that you can demonstrate the following:-
- Evidence of relevant legal training.
- In-depth knowledge of one or more areas of law, such as commercial, corporate, data protection law (including the GDPR), or intellectual property.
- Ability to produce accurate and well researched work to meet client requirements.
- Proficient IT skills including high proficiency in Microsoft Office packages.
Our story and mission
The City & Guilds Group is a global leader in skills development. Our purpose is the same today as it has always been, to enable people, organisations and economies to develop their skills for growth. Backed by a Royal Charter, we have more than 135 years of experience in making sure that people can contribute to successful businesses and thriving economies.
Today, the Group consists of City & Guilds, ILM, Kineo, Digitalme, The Oxford Group and Gen2. Our businesses provide a broad and imaginative range of products and services that help people achieve their potential through work-based learning. Together, they set the standards for corporate learning, technical training and skills credentialing. Everything we do – from the way we work, our products and services, to our charitable investments – seeks to make a difference to individuals and communities around the world.
Our success is driven by the people we work with. We pride ourselves on our ability to offer an equal opportunity to all our staff and we value diversity within our inclusive culture. We recognise that a diverse workforce is the only way we will achieve our ambitious business goals, so we work hard to be flexible to accommodate everyone.
What we offer
We offer the opportunity to work in an innovative, engaging and market-leading organisation with opportunities to develop your existing skills and explore new ones.
You’ll receive an excellent benefits package which typically includes a great base salary, 25 days holiday plus bank holidays, pension, private healthcare, volunteering opportunities and much more which you can find out about here.
We welcome a discussion about how this role can work flexibly for you for example work pattern, location.
Next steps and how to apply
If you think this is the role and organisation for you then we would love to hear from you. Please submit your CV and complete our short application form using the apply button.
As part of the application process, you will be asked to complete a game based assessment. This is an interactive assessment looking at ways of working that will be used with your CV and application form to assess your suitability for our organisation.